On September 11, 2016, the Jamestown Chapter of the National Society of Colonial Dames XVII Century presented Trinity United Methodist Church in Alexandria with a historic plaque commemorating their continuous service to the Alexandria community since 1774.
Honored guests were President General, Elizabeth Snuggs McAteer, National Society Colonial Dames XVIIC, Nan Ackerman, Librarian General, National Society Colonial Dames XVIIC and Honorary Past Virginia President, National Society Colonial Dames XVIIC, Kathleen Deegen, Honorary Past Virginia President, National Society Colonial Dames, Virginia Huertes Rouse, Headquarters Supervisor, National Society Colonial Dames XVIIC and Virginia State Society Registrar, Emily Richardson, President, Virginia Society, National Society Colonial Dames XVIIC, Jacque-Lynne Amann Schulman, President National, National Society United States Daughters of 1812 and National Registrar, Jamestowne Society and Governor of the Washington – Northern Virginia Company of the Jamestowne Society. We also honored to have Jeff Mickle, District Superintendent of the Alexandria District of the United Methodist Church and other district employees attend this historical ceremony.
Jamestown Chapter Officers participating in the ceremony were Nancy Hill, President; Sarah Hardy, 1st Vice President; Brenda Wesner, Treasurer and Past President, Virginia Hurtes Rouse, Registrar and Honorary Past President; and Kitty Hoeck, Historian. We also had many Jamestown Chapter and Trinity United Methodist members attend the ceremony. It was a wonderful afternoon of celebration and fellowship.
The Reverend William A. Davis, pastor of Trinity United Methodist Church welcomed all of those who attended the ceremony. Tom Tyler, member of the Trinity United Methodist Church provided the history of the church. Mrs. Emily Richardson, Virginia State Society, presented the plaque to Jill Robinson and Elizabeth Tyler.
The Jamestown Chapter of the National Society Colonial Dames XVIIC was chartered on December 15, 1956. The National Society Colonial Dames XVIIC was founded on July 15, 1915 and is headquartered in Washington, DC. The object of the National Society Colonial Dames XVIIC is to aid in the preservation of the records and the historic sites of our country; to foster interest in historical colonial research; to aid in the education of the youth of our country; to commemorate the noble and heroic deeds of our ancestors; the founders of our great Republic; to maintain zealously those high principles of virtue, courage and patriotism which led to the independence of the Colonies and the foundation and establishment of the United States of America; to maintain a Library of Heraldry and preserve the lineage and Coats of Arms of our Armorial ancestors; and to develop a library specializing in the seventeenth century American colonial data.