The City of Alexandria and the Alexandria Transit Company (DASH) have been working with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) and the region’s localities to assist travelers as WMATA’s Metrorail SafeTrack initiative continues. SafeTrack’s “Safety Surges” involve long-duration track outages for major projects in key parts of the system, which will cause delays throughout the region. WMATA has announced the details of SafeTrack Surge #12, which will directly affect Alexandria.
For Surge #12, February 11-28:
· No trains will run between Rosslyn and Pentagon.
· Yellow Line Rush+ trains will run all day between Franconia-Springfield and Greenbelt.
· The Arlington Cemetery station will be closed. Free shuttle buses to Arlington Cemetery will be provided from Pentagon.
· Metrorail users who typically travel between Rosslyn and Pentagon stations will need to take the Yellow Line to L’Enfant Plaza and transfer to the Orange/Silver lines.
· Trains and platforms may be extremely crowded during peak periods and customers may experience extended delays.
The City of Alexandria urges commuters to:
· Consider telework and alternate work schedule options when possible.