|The City of Alexandria and the Alexandria Transit Company (DASH) have been working with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) and the region’s localities to assist travelers as WMATA’s Metrorail SafeTrack initiative continues. SafeTrack’s “Safety Surges” involve long-duration track outages for major projects in key parts of the system, which will cause delays throughout the region. WMATA has announced the details of SafeTrack Surge #12, which will directly affect Alexandria.|
For Surge #12, February 11-28:
· No trains will run between Rosslyn and Pentagon.
· Yellow Line Rush+ trains will run all day between Franconia-Springfield and Greenbelt.
· The Arlington Cemetery station will be closed. Free shuttle buses to Arlington Cemetery will be provided from Pentagon.
· Metrorail users who typically travel between Rosslyn and Pentagon stations will need to take the Yellow Line to L’Enfant Plaza and transfer to the Orange/Silver lines.
· Trains and platforms may be extremely crowded during peak periods and customers may experience extended delays.
The City of Alexandria urges commuters to:
· Consider telework and alternate work schedule options when possible.
· Use Amtrak and Virginia Railway Express (VRE) with service from Alexandria Union Station (110 Callahan Dr.), which is adjacent to the King Street-Old Town Metro Station but does not use Metrorail tracks.
· Take advantage of the DASH Bus system, which provides service throughout Alexandria and to the Pentagon, and connects to Metrorail, Metrobus, and other regional bus partners.
· Bike to work using Alexandria’s extensive bike routes and paths. For more information, visit GO Alex, Alexandria’s resource for transportation alternatives.
· Rideshare with other commuters to create a carpool or vanpool or use Carshare.
For more information about SafeTrack and Alexandria’s plans to help, visit alexandriava.gov/SafeTrack.
To receive travel updates by email and text message, subscribe to the free MetroAlerts and Alexandria eNews services.