The City of Alexandria invites the community to learn more about City government through the upcoming City Academy, Senior Academy, Community Fire Academy, Community Police Academy, Community Sheriff’s Academy, and Community Commonwealth’s Attorney Academy.
These programs are designed to inform, educate and engage the community on how local government operates. The City, Senior, Fire, Police, and Sheriff’s programs will begin sessions in September. Applications are being accepted from July 10 to July 27. The next Commonwealth’s Attorney program will be in Spring 2019.
- The Alexandria City Academy teaches participants about general government operations and departments through a combination of classroom and hands-on experiences.
- The Alexandria Senior Academy, a partnership between the City and Senior Services of Alexandria, gives seniors (ages 60 and up) exposure to the City’s government functions and provides education on local organizations that provide services and programs to seniors.
- The Alexandria Community Fire Academy educates community members about fire safety and emergency medical response, as well as the history, administration, operations, and apparatus of an urban public safety agency.
- The Alexandria Community Police Academy provides an opportunity for residents to learn about various aspects of the Police Department, such as administrative philosophy, internal policies and the guiding principles of law and ethical conduct governing the delivery of police services.
- NEW – The Alexandria Community Sheriff’s Academy will explore the role of the Sheriff’s Office in Alexandria[s criminal justice system, learn about local corrections and discover how the Sheriff’s Office enhances public safety through a variety of specialized services and outreach programs.
- The Commonwealth’s Attorney Academy will offer an in-depth look at how criminal offenses are prosecuted in the City by the Commonwealth Attorney’s office. The program will resume in Spring 2019.
These programs are open to Alexandria residents, Alexandria business owners, and City employees. A graduation ceremony will be held at the end of each academy program session.
Class sizes are limited. For more information, including deadlines and application forms, visit alexandriava.gov/Academies.
The City of Alexandria is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended. To request a reasonable accommodation, email email@example.com or call 703.746.4317 or Virginia Relay 711.