Del Ray Holiday Kick-Off Postponed Until Sunday, Dec. 2
Event Begins Month-Long Holiday Celebration on Main Street
Due to weather, the Del Ray Holiday Season Kick-Off will postponed until Sunday, Dec. 2 at 6 p.m. at the Pat Miller Neighborhood Square, beginning a month-long holiday celebration on Main Street. The holiday activities reflect the Del Ray neighborhood’s reputation as a dining, retail, wellness, and arts destination in the region, along with its commitment to supporting Alexandria non-profits year-round.
All events open to all. Among the activities planned:
- Holiday Season Kick-Off: The Del Ray community will come together on Sun. Dec 2 at 6 p.m. for the annual Christmas tree and Menorah lighting at the Pat Miller Neighborhood Square, located at the intersection of Mount Vernon and Oxford Avenues. The event features an appearance by Santa, who will lead carols and sit for photos with children. Participants are urged to bring toiletries, diapers, gift cards for Target or Wal-Mart or Metro SmartTrip cards for Carpenter’s Shelter. Continue the celebration (and start your holiday shopping!) with a stroll down Mount Vernon Avenue, which will be illuminated by thousands of luminarias in honor of the late Nancy Dunning.
- Holidays On Main Street: Local artists have been commissioned to complete a series of hand-painted holiday windows at businesses along Mount Vernon Avenue. Businesses and local non-profits are also teaming up to decorate Christmas trees along the Avenue; the winning tree, selected by online voters, will earn $500 for that non-profit.
- Del Ray Holiday Pop-Up Market: Find one-of-a-kind gifts made by local artisans and at-home entrepreneurs on Sun., Dec. 2 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Pat Miller Neighborhood Square.
- Shops of Del Ray’s Ladies’ Night Out: Join the Shops of Del Ray on Th., Dec. 6 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. to shop local and enjoy special promotions — all while sipping Virginia wine. Find the perfect gift on The Avenue or at an outdoor pop-up market featuring local artisans at the Del Ray Psych & Wellness parking lot, located at the intersection of Mount Vernon Avenue and Bellefonte Avenue.
- 3rd Annual Candy Cane Bar Crawl: Take a break from the bustle of holiday preparations and enjoy specials at top Del Ray restaurants during a neighborhood beer crawl on Sat., Dec. 8 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Advance tickets are $15, with proceeds benefiting MVCS Blessings in Backpack and Cora Kelly ALIVE Weekend Food Packs.
- Twelve Days of Wellness in Del Ray: From Dec. 9-20, the Del Ray wellness community will offer twelve days of self-care during the holidays, featuring special promotions, classes, workshops, and more.
- First Night Alexandria: On New Years’ Eve from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., bring the entire family out for an old-fashioned carnival featuring games, face-painting, and more at the Mount Vernon Recreation Center.
All events are presented by the Del Ray Business Association, which represents the independently-owned shops, retailers, and businesses in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria. For complete information, visit www.visitdelray.com.