ALEXANDRIA, VA – On January 29, 1947, just a year after establishing America’s third regulated historic district in what would become known as “Old Town,” the Alexandria City Council directed that a new ordinance be prepared covering public signs in the City. In the years after World War II, signs across the city began to become larger and larger to attract the attention of the increasingly motorized population driving through the city. Some signs, such as the one pictured here atop the 1922 George Mason Hotel, was one of three neon signs installed on engineered structural frames on the roof of the building, pointed towards City Hall and in both directions on Washington Street. With this new trend starting to accelerate, officials determined it was now time to regulate signage.
(Source: Office of Historic Alexandria)