ALEXANDRIA, VA – The Dunbar Alexandria-Olympic Boys & Girls Club needs 50 volunteers to assist with handing out water, food, and medals at the end of the GW Parkway Classic on Sunday, April 28. Volunteering at this event is huge fundraiser for thee organization, with a grant donation only given if they fill their volunteer commitment.
Unfortunately, their two biggest provider of volunteers had to unexpectedly drop out this year, leaving them with a big hole to fill just two weeks before the event.
Volunteers will meet at Oronoco Park at 7 a.m. on Sunday, April 28. If you’re available to help, please email Kirk Hansen at [email protected] asap. The goal is to hit 50 volunteers by this coming Monday!
About the Dunbar Alexandria-Olympic Boys & Girls Club
The Dunbar Alexandria-Olympic Branch opened its doors in October of 1936 as the Alexandria Boys Club and served boys between the ages of 6 and18, while a Club on the other side of town, known as the Olympic Club, served African-American boys since its founding in 1943. It was not until 1973 that community leaders representing the two Clubs decided to merge the Clubs pushing the momentum of desegregation in the City of Alexandria.
As a result of the merger, the Club was named the Alexandria-Olympic Boys Club. A year later, the Club became part of the Boys Club of Greater Washington. In 1982, the name of the Club was changed to reflect the Club’s Co-educational activities. Finally, in 2009, after a major capital campaign held to renovate the historic building located on 401 North Payne Street, the name was changed to honor a family that had supported the Clubs for over two decades. The Club now serves the youth of the City of Alexandria as the Dunbar Alexandria-Olympic Branch.