Alexandria, VA – Josh Baker, DASH General Manager announced that this demonstration is another part of our ongoing commitment to be leaders in the research and planning for a future 100% Zero-Emissions Electric Bus fleet.
Manufactured and furnished by New Flyer of America, the largest bus manufacturer in North America and current supplier of DASH Clean Diesel and Upcoming Electric Bus models, the vehicle is being provided free of charge for operation on current DASH routes.
This vehicle has many benefits, including:
- Highest battery storage capacity and range of any Zero Emissions Bus available in the United States.
- Ability to serve all current or future routes within the City (navigates tighter turns than many current DASH buses due to special turning technology)
- Nearly doubles passenger capacity for routes with over-crowding issues (carries 120-130 passengers vs. 80 of a current DASH bus)
- Able to expedite boarding and de-boarding on Bus Rapid Transitways (i.e. future West End and Duke Street Transitways)
- 3 articulated buses can replace 4 standard buses, reducing long term operating and capital costs
- Remedies bunching issues on routes where too many buses creates service reliability issues
DASH has experience operating a small set of older model articulated buses, all of which are scheduled to be retired from active service as soon as I-395 funding provided capital funds become available.
Although not a currently identified priority, this bus type could be considered for future service on high capacity corridors and services supported by the Alexandria Transit Vision Plan (ATV). Examples include the West End Transitway, Duke Street Transit Corridor, or routes which serve very high numbers of Alexandria School Students.
The bus will be in operation on various routes for passengers to experience during regular service throughout the City for the duration of the demonstration period.