ALEXANDRIA, VA – Did you leave a mask and snorkel or your Tiffany wedding ring in your Uber ride recently? According to Uber, somebody did.
It turns out that St. Patrick’s Day celebrations bring on the most incidents of lost items, and in recognition of those sometimes-chaotic backseat rides, Uber has released its 2020 Lost and Found Index.
It’s Not All About Phones and Keys
Phones, wallets, keys, and backpacks top the list of most forgotten items in the District this year, but riders aren’t just leaving the usual suspects behind. “We’ve seen folks forget everything from a bag of onions to a fur-collared camo jacket – just to name a few,” says Susan Hendrick from Uber.
Top 10 Lost Items in DC Uber Rides
Unique Items Forgotten in DC
- Camo jacket with fur collar
- A gold wallet
- Element that you plug into the wall to charge a device
- Bag of onions and water bottle
- Mask and snorkel
- Tiffany’s platinum wedding ring
- Black nylon jacket (Hershey Park insignia)
- CVS bag with bottled water, mango juice, pack of gum
- Flower slides
- Bag of wine
- Medical discharge folder
DC’s Most Forgetful Days of the Year
- January 1, 2020
- November 17, 2019
- November 16, 2019
- October 27, 2019
- March 31, 2019
DC’s Most Forgetful Hours of the Day
- 10:00 pm
- 3:00 pm
- 2:00 pm
DC’s Most Forgetful Days of the Week
How to Retrieve Lost Items
If you’re one of those people who left something behind, look no further than this video below, which outlines the simple steps you can take the next time you leave something behind in your Uber.
The best way to retrieve a lost item is to call the driver – but if you leave your phone itself in an Uber, you can login to your account on a computer. Here’s what to do:
- Tap “Your Trips” and select the trip where you left something
- Tap “I lost an item”
- Tap “Contact driver about a lost item”
- Scroll down and enter the phone number you would like to be contacted at. Tap submit.
- If you lost your personal phone, enter a friend’s phone number (you can do this by logging into your account on a computer, or using a friend’s phone).
- Your phone will ring and connect you directly with your driver’s mobile number.
- If your driver picks up and confirms that your item has been found, coordinate a mutually convenient time and place to meet for its return to you.
- If your driver doesn’t pick up, leave a detailed voicemail describing your item and the best way to contact you.