The purpose and mission of the group is to:
- Encourage peer social support under supervision;
- Be a youth driven group which gives voice to the youth;
- Address issues affecting LGBTQ+ youth in Northern Virginia;
- Develop/Enhance leadership and advocacy skills among the youth;
- Create and present educational programs targeted at peers and adults in schools and community venues.
“Our ultimate goal is to ensure teens in the Northern Virginia area have access to an organization and activities that promote equality,” says Jordan Costen, founder/chairman of Safe Space NOVA. “The mission of Y’ALLS is to give a voice to these young adults and give them a positive environment and welcoming staff that embrace, uplift, and encourage them.”
According to the latest study released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), LGBTQ+ youth are at increased risk for suicidal thoughts and behaviors, suicide attempts, and suicide. In addition, LGBTQ+ youth were more likely than heterosexual youth to report high levels of bullying and substance abuse.
About Safe Space NOVA
Safe Space NOVA is dedicated to providing a safe, accepting, and supportive environment to combat social stigmas, bullying, and other challenges faced by LGBTQ+ youth. For more information, visit: https://safespacenova.org/.