Kindergarten Registration for 2020-21
2020-21 Kindergarten Registration Begins May 20, 2020. Due to the Governor’s stay-at-home order, 2020-21 kindergarten registration takes place completely online. All registration steps, including the enrollment form and providing documentation, must be completed for a child to be able to start school.
For Pre-Kindergarten/Preschool registration, visit the Early Childhood Opportunities page.
ACPS 2020-21 Kindergarten and New Student Registration is Now Online
- Find your zoned school. If you don’t know the school for which you are zoned, use the Attendance Zone Locator to find your school.
- Gather the required documents.
- Complete the enrollment forms. (available on May 20 for the 2020-21 school year. See below.)
- Provide the required documents.
This process is now online for the 2020-21 school year. Families will be directed who to contact from their school to set up a virtual appointment to review the registration forms and assist with instructions on how to provide the required verification documents.
Students with a primary home language other than English may contact the Office of English Learner Services at 703-619-8022 or email@example.com for assistance in completing the online forms.
Parents have two options for completing enrollment forms:
- Complete the enrollment forms online:
- Student Registration for the Current School Year (2019-20) English | Español
- New Student Registration Form for 2020-21: available starting May 20, 2020
- Download and print an enrollment packet below, or request a printed packet by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to mail this completed form back to your school.Kindergarten: English (PDF) | Español (PDF) | Amharic (PDF) | Arabic (PDF)
Grades 1-12: English (PDF) | Español (PDF) | Amharic (PDF) | Arabic (PDF)
According to Virginia law, your child must be five years old on or before September 30 to register for kindergarten. There is no deadline for registration, but ACPS urges parents to register early. To be admitted, a child must meet all documentation and health requirements. See the registration packet for details.
Children who will be six years old on or before September 30, must, by law, attend school. Parents of students who are starting school as first-graders should follow kindergarten registration procedures. If you decide not to register your child for kindergarten, you must contact the school system in writing.
Parents of students transferring to ACPS from other school districts should enroll their children as soon as possible upon moving to Alexandria. Registration dates for transfer students are ongoing.
Parents registering their child must provide three documents proving Alexandria City residency.
Elementary Transfer Requests
See the Elementary Transfer Requests page.