August 15 event will have health and safety precautions in place
ALEXANDRIA, VA – This month marks the 100th anniversary of a woman’s right to vote. On August 18, 1920, the 19th Amendment of the Constitution was ratified, giving women the opportunity to cast their ballots.
To honor the anniversary, the Women’s History Bike Ride will take place on Saturday, August 15. The free and family-friendly event is sponsored by Alexandria’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC), Alexandria Celebrates Women, and the Alexandria Spokeswomen.
The Bike Ride, with staggered start times to promote COVID-19 precautions, will take riders along a course that features historic sites associated with Alexandria women. The 14-mile route will begin at the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration and Elections on North Royal Street.
“This ride will be a fun way to learn about some of the trailblazing women who helped shape Alexandria over the centuries,” said Josephine Liu, BPAC Vice Chair for Bicyclists. “We’ll celebrate the centennial of the 19th Amendment by highlighting Alexandrians who were active in the suffrage movement.”
The following precautions will be followed for rider health and safety:
- Small groups of 10 riders requiring registrants to sign up in advance for specific time slots
- Self-screening and not participating if people have experienced symptoms of COVID-19, or if they have been exposed to a known case within the last 14 days
- Wearing masks at during the event, even when riding, if riders can breathe comfortably
- Maintaining social distance (at least 10 feet and preferably 20 feet)
- Being aware of local COVID-19 conditions and canceling participation if necessary
Participants should bring their own bike, helmet, face covering, water bottle, and hand sanitizer. Organizers encourage wearing suffrage era clothing or wearing the era’s colors of purple, green, and gold. They also welcome the decorating of bikes in those colors.
The staggered ride starts are: 7:30, 8:00, and 8:30 a.m. Registration is available HERE.