ALEXANDRIA, VA – Made in ALX, an Alexandria-based makers market, is now open for business. The company announced the launch of its website earlier today. It is designed to support local artists and others who create merchandise – and connect those people to consumers.
“We knew even before COVID-19 that Alexandria is full of creative, talented makers,” said co-founder Lore Burek, who has years of ecommerce experience. “We wanted to give them a local outlet to sell through and make it much easier for consumers to find them.”
Made in ALX has partnered with several local creators, including:
- Artist Alexandra Schmeling is offering custom watercolor pet portraits for the holiday season. A portion of proceeds from this limited-time offer will support the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria.
- Garden Home, by Bonny McMahon, is offering unique jewelry, bags and hand-stenciled quilts.
- Torpedo Factory Artist Betsy Grady is selling a calendar and holiday cards with prints of her original paintings.
- The designers behind Earth Seeds 365 are featuring holographic and motivational stickers.
- Designer Diana Papazian is offering unique, hand-crafted jewelry.
The company expects to partner with more makers in the coming weeks. Items to look forward to include home decor and pet goods. Made in ALX is taking pre-orders for The Official Sock of Alexandria.
Made in ALX plans to host pop-up shops in town in the future, when doing so is permitted.
“Our one goal was to make it easy for people to find and buy the unique items our local artists and crafters are producing,” said co-founder Beth Lawton, the publisher of Alexandria Living Magazine.