Alexandria, VA – The Art League of the Torpedo Factory~ An Art League Gallery tradition returns with “Petite December 2020 Small Works for the Holiday Season,” juried by Asma Naeem, Chief Curator of the Baltimore Museum of Art, and on exhibit from December 2 through January 2. Perfectly suited as a diverting stocking stuffer or the main event for the art lover in your life, the small works in this exhibit are no larger than 8” x 5” or 40 square inches, go for only $150 or less, and available for sale to-go. Remember…Good things come in small packages!
* Del Ray Artisans~ 2704 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA. The ever-popular 25th annual Holiday Market is back for all your hand-crafted and artful gifting with different vendors each of the three weekends of the market. Holiday Market hours are Friday 6-9 pm, Saturday & Sunday 11 am – 6 pm.
You can reserve free tickets to a 20-minute shopping priority preview every Friday night of the market, 12/4 and 12/11. Go to www.delrayartisans.org to reserve tickets. Tickets are not required for entry but ticketholders get priority over those waiting. The gallery is limited to a 10-person occupancy. Masks are required and 6-foot social distancing is to be maintained at all times.
* The Principle Gallery~ 208 King Street, Alexandria, VA, also has a small works show on exhibit. There is an opening reception on December 5 from 1-4 pm at the gallery.
*Potomac Fiber Arts Gallery of the Torpedo Factory ~ The first fiber arts gallery in the Metropolitan DC area and the original and oldest fiber/textile studio in the Torpedo Factory Arts Center has decked out those halls for festive holiday-fare shopping as “Holiday Spirit” continues through January 3, 2021. The studio gallery, with 70 cooperative artist members who oftentimes work on their craft while in the gallery, is open Friday-Sunday from 11:30 am – 4:30 pm. Eclectic and diversely unique wearables, as well as decorative textile arts representing all fiber media, are on exhibit and for sale. If something catches your eye online or while window shopping, call 703-548-0935 for more information and/or to purchase.
* River Farm~ 7931 East Boulevard Drive, Alexandria, VA. Through January 6, 2021, Robert Murray of the Von Brahler Gallery, Ltd. will continue hosting the exhibition of Oteri flora still life masterpieces at the historic property once owned by George Washington. There will be a final reception on Saturday, December 12 from 11 am until 1 pm. Due to new COVID-19 restrictions, guests will be limited to 25 at any one time. Masks must be worn. The River Farm manse is traditionally and enchantingly decorated for the holidays. Explore the expansive Potomac River grounds while you are there. Come for the art. Stay for the view!
* Target Gallery of the Torpedo Factory~ The compelling and provocative “In My Head, In My Body” exhibit closes December 13, 2020. The “Post-Grad Residents Show 2020” opens December 19 and runs through January 17, 2021. This exhibit will spotlight the best works of the featured artists during their three-month residency at the Torpedo Factory Art Center. An artist talk is scheduled at the gallery for January 15, 2021, at 7 pm. Be sure to check with the gallery for details about a virtual versus an in-gallery event.
* Gallery Underground in the Crystal City Shops~ The December all-member show in the Focus Gallery is “Small Works, Great Joy,” on exhibit all of December 2020. Limited to 8”x10” dimensions, the small works with big impact range across all media. In the Main Gallery are members’ new works of all sizes, including sculpture, ceramics, glass, wood, and metalwork. Voted the “Best Art Gallery” by Northern Virginia Magazine, the Gallery Underground is open M-F 10 am-6 pm or by appointment.