ALEXANDRIA, VA—The Alexandria Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has a project helping Afghan refugees settling in the area. Begun approximately one week ago, this project has already gained popularity amongst both residents and refugees in the community.
“Thousands of Afghan refugees are being resettled in our area,” explains Amy Barker, JustServe Specialist of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. “Some of them are coming with only the clothes they are wearing. One thing that brings a smile to their faces is receiving spices and food that are familiar to them.”
- Donate spices through this Amazon Wish List.
- Donate to the spice fund through Venmo at Amy-Barker-32
- Buy bagged spices at an Indian, Mediterranean, or Afghan store like this one.
- Buy spices, dried apricots, pistachios, walnuts, sliced almonds, dates, or figs at your local store. Drop items off 808 Beverley Drive in Alexandria.
- Ask your friends, neighbors, and co-workers if they would like to help!
Amy concludes, “We are excited to bring a little bit of home to our Afghan neighbors during this chaotic time.”