Alexandria, VA – Help the City of Alexandria meet its goal to make Alexandria Earth Day a ‘zero waste’ vent by becoming a Resource Recovery volunteer. During the April 27 event, you will educate and direct event participants and exhibitors in the appropriate way to sort their garbage. Volunteers will be trained on what goes into the compost, recycle, and trash bins. This is a learning opportunity for all who attend and volunteer at the event!
When and Where
All assignments will be at Alexandria Earth Day 2019, held at the Lenny Harris Memorial Fields at Braddock Park (1005 Mt. Vernon Ave.) on April 27.
- The early shift will help set up the bins and help exhibitors sort their waste. At the end of the event, volunteers will assist exhibitors and help measure the overall impact of our efforts, that is, measuring what percentage of waste was diverted from trash to recycling and composting facilities.
- Monitor the recycling, trash, and composting stations. Help attendees put items in the correct containers.
- Assist with pulling full bags and transporting them to the appropriate truck for recovery. Some heavy lifting may be involved (but you can opt out and leave this for those who can!).
- 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. – 4 volunteers
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. – 8 volunteers per two-hour shift to monitor bins (16 volunteers) total
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. – 4 volunteers
Volunteer Application Form
On the registration form under ‘Indicate your interest of task/duties, please fill out Earth Day – Resource Recovery and the volunteer time slot(s).
All volunteers will receive an official 2019 Alexandria Earth Day T-shirt as a thank you for their time.