Alexandria, VA – Sure, the Metro trains at Alexandria stations are back up and running after a summer-long construction-related shutdown, but what about the rest of the Platform Improvement Project? According to an update from Metro it looks like the updated kiss & ride lots and the restoration of buses from temporary locations back to bus loops at most stations won’t be finished until late fall.
Contractors are still in the process of installing non-slip tiles at the Franconia-Springfield and Huntington stations, and “are expected to continue punch list work inside the stations through the end of the year,” according to Metro.
But the work at one of the most highly traveled stations – King Street-Old Town, won’t be finished until mid-to-late 2020.
- The renovated bus loop and kiss & ride will reopen on Sunday, Nov. 3.
- Some buses will continue to operate on the street.
- The renovated bus loop and kiss & ride will reopen on Sunday, Oct. 20.
- Weekend DASH service will serve the bus loop, while all Metrobus and weekday DASH service will continue operating from the street at their current locations
- On the north side of the station, bus loop construction, sidewalk repair, and bus shelter replacement will be worked on until Friday, Nov. 22.
- The renovated bus loop and kiss & ride will reopen on the north side of the station on Sunday, Nov. 24.
King St-Old Town Station
- Buses continue operating at temporary locations through the remainder of Alexandria’s King Street-Old Town Metro Access Improvement Project
Van Dorn St Station
- The renovated kiss & ride will reopen on the north side of the station in late November.