Alexandria, VA – It’s time again! Volunteer Alexandria’s Annual Community Toy Drive is back in action and in partnership with City of Alexandria’s Fund for Alexandria’s Child, they invite you to collect NEW toys, games, and sport items for families in need through December 16th. Click HERE to find a location near you. Thank you, SHRM for sponsoring this wonderful event!
It’s getting cold and the holidays are just around the corner. For most families, this is a time of cheer and festivity, games, toys, and teddy bears; but for some this is a season of worry and sadness when finances are tight and a family’s basic needs are often not met. Gifts and toys are far down the list of priorities.
At Volunteer Alexandria they believe that each child in our city should experience the delight of receiving and opening their very own holiday gifts. Alexandria’s Department of Community and Human Services helps hundreds of families a year meet their basic needs.
They think those children also deserve toys for the holidays. This year, three hundred families — approximately 600 children – will receive their help and they have set a goal of collecting 2,400+ toys so that each child receives four toys – big and small – to make their holidays as cheerful as possible. See who is already supporting this event by clicking HERE.
Where to drop off toys in Alexandria? Click HERE to find a location near you.
Interested in being part of this cause?
- Donate. Make a donation to help 100-plus volunteers sort, count, distribute toys over two days. Donate online or write a check payable to Volunteer Alexandria.
- Be a collection site. Collect toys through a public collection receptacle or private collection (office or apartment building). Or, host a holiday party and collect toys and books. Register online.
- Donate a toy. Purchase a new toy or have to order online. Click HERE to find a drop-off location near you.
- Volunteer. Volunteer on Dec. 20 and Dec. 21 as an individual, with your family, friends or colleagues. Register online.
- Donate goods (wrapping paper and tape). If you can help, please order online and have it shipped directly to Volunteer Alexandria, or drop off wrapping paper and tape at Volunteer Alexandria, 123 N. Alfred Street in Old Town.
What should you collect/purchase? Please note, they are unable to accept any used gifts, guns (nerf guns, dart blasters) and any clothing for children 2 years old and up, food, and bikes.
Infants’ educational toys, Baby items, onesies, sleepers, musical crib mobiles, interactive crib toys, rattles
Toddlers: any educational toys, any musical learning toy, Legos®/Duplo blocks or Mega blocks, trains, building blocks, Playmobile®, musical toys, dolls of color, My Little Pony, Dora the Explorer, Batman, anything Disney, Power Rangers, VTech Race & Play Adventure Park, larger size cars
5-9 year old: Legos® sets, Legos® Friends, Playmobile®, CPSYUB RC Flying Ball Toys, basketball, soccer ball, baseball/bat, cars, trucks, cars, action figures, dolls, train sets, arts & crafts kits, ink stamp kits, coloring books with markers, Disney movies, parking garage play sets
10-12 year old: Robots, Transformers, Sporting baseball caps, Legos® sets, MP3 players, arts & crafts kits, watches, hair accessories, nail polish, boys showering gel, girls and boys bath/lotion sets, craft/bead kits, purses, diaries, model kits (cars, planes, boats), science kits, movies rated G-PG/PG13, baseball/bat
And for all ages: NEW stuffed animals, books, games, puzzles