Alexandria, VA – Alexandria farmers’ markets begin the next phase of reopening based on guidance provided by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS), the City’s farmers’markets will be permitted to expand market operations to include on-site transactions consistent with the guidelines outlined below effective May 30, 2020.
OPERATING CONDITIONS AND GUIDANCE:
- All customers, vendors and market staff must stay home if they are sick, any member of their family is sick or if they have come in contact with anyone with COVID-19 or showing symptoms attributed to COVID-19;
- All vendors and market staff are required to wear a mask or cloth face covering when entering or working at the market;
- All customers are strongly encouraged to wear a mask or cloth face covering when entering the market;
- All vendors must wear gloves and change them regularly;
- All vendors will provide a barrier, space or set-up between customers and products for sale to discourage product handling;
- All customers, vendors and market staff must practice social distancing and maintain a distance of six (6) feet from customers;
- Vendors and City market staff must provide hand sanitizer for their use as well as staff;
- Vendors must use enhanced cleaning and disinfecting practices to regularly clean and disinfect spaces and equipment;
- No food sampling will be permitted on-site;
- No food preparation will be permitted on-site including food trucks, made to order sandwiches, freshly squeezed juices, coffee, etc.;
- No on-site dining is permitted;
- Non-food vendors will not be permitted to sell or distribute products for pick-up on-site;
- Vendors and market staff handling money should wash their hands or utilize hand sanitizer between each transaction;
- Vendors should continue to promote pre-ordering and pre-payment of food products for pickup; and
- Vendors are strongly encouraged to pre-bag or pre-box products for quick sales and minimize browsing.
The Old Town Farmers’ Market will be set up utilizing and implementing the following to maximize physical distancing; limit gathering; and help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Access and Exit points to each market site will be restricted and/or adjusted to manage crowd flow to maintain physical distancing and prevent bottlenecks and choke points;
- Vendor tents/tables will be placed a minimum of eight (8) feet apart and locations adjusted to allow for wider walkways as applicable (spaces normally assigned to non-food vendors will be used to accommodate distancing between food vendors);
- The number of customers in the market shall be restricted to ensure physical distancing (six (6) feet) and prevent bottlenecks/choke points;
- Tape, chalk or other appropriate marker will be placed outside of the market where the lines will form that indicate physical distancing (six (6) feet) as required;
- Signage will be posted by the City indicating COVID-19 adjusted operations and safe practices to prevent the spread of the virus;
- Signage will be posted identifying entrances and exits; pre-order pick-up and one-way directional signage for the aisles and crowd flow as applicable;
- Barriers will be placed where access to each market is no longer permitted and in locations to help restrict entrance and exit locations and crowd flow as applicable; and
- Curbside pick-up of pre-ordered products will be considered as requested by vendors and in concurrence with City regulations.
VENDORS also shall comply with this following additional guidance:
- Masks or cloth face coverings are required for all vendors and staff while in the market;
- No sampling will be permitted;
- No on-site food preparation will be permitted;
- Encourage pre-ordering of products and pre-packaged products for on-site sales to facilitate for faster service and limited contact;
- Set-up should discourage product handling by customers and to encourage physical distancing (six (6) feet) at the vendors’ tent/tables;
- Minimize cash transactions and use contactless methods when possible;
- and provide and use hand sanitizer regularly while in the market.
CUSTOMERS shall be asked to adhere to the following guidance:
- Masks or cloth face coverings are strongly encouraged while in the market;
- Limit browsing, lingering, or gathering in the market;
- No handling of food products;
- Bring your own hand sanitizer;
- Maintain physical distancing (six (6) feet) from other vendors, market staff and other customers:
- Wash all produce before consuming;
- Sampling and eating food are prohibited; and
- Encouraged to pre-order from vendors for pick-up at the market or delivery whenever possible.
The City reserves the right to change or amend the above conditions, market set-up and guidance at any time to ensure compliance with Executive Orders issued by the Governor and guidance provided by the City of Alexandria or Virginia Department of Health.