ALEXANDRIA, VA – Do you know someone who should be one of the Alexandria Living Legend Class of 2021? Do you know a person that has made an outstanding contribution to Alexandria’s quality of life, or an unsung hero who has impacted Alexandria in lasting ways? Has someone you know helped the disadvantaged, created or revitalized a public space, brought arts to new audiences, mentored children, improved lives of the needy?
This is your chance to help get them the recognition they rightly deserve.
Once selected, each new Living Legend of Alexandria will be celebrated with a museum-quality photographic portrait, an interview with a professional print journalist and will have a segment in a lasting video produced by an award-winning film company.
The newly selected group is then formally inducted as Living Legends at a ceremonial reception. As a permanent record of their extraordinary lives, their portraits are digitally maintained by the Office of Historic Alexandria and the written profiles are recorded and available online in perpetuity.
Tips to Help your Nominee Be Selected:
- Focus on volunteer activities. Nominees are selected based on contributions outside of their paid employment.
- Engage your nominee in the process. Let your nominee know you would like to nominate them. Meet with them at home if possible and have them pull out all their awards and certificates of accomplishment over a lifetime of service.
- Provide specific detail. Dig up nominee accomplishments and awards, particularly including dates and titles. Awards can be big or small and are not mandatory, but can help to pinpoint the date and type of Legend-making contributions the individual has made to Alexandria.
- Throw in the kitchen sink! No matter how well-known in the City, the selections committee can only go by what you the nominator(s) put on paper and submit to the committee. So, send us everything you have!
- Re-nominate! We encourage re-nominations. if your nominee did not make it on other tries, apply the above tips, send much more information, and consider activities they have been involved in since their nomination.
Note: Nominees need not reside in the City of Alexandria.
Visit alexandrialegends.org for nomination forms and more information.
MORE: Living Legends Series