ALEXANDRIA, VA – Oktoberfest, Old Town-style! Brats galore, homemade savory dishes, and decadent sweets filled the tables at Old Town Village tonight. The OTV residents gathered to celebrate with one another in the clubhouse and outdoor patio, under twinkling lights and amid laughter and conversation. The condominium and townhome community is located on the southwestern edge of Alexandria’s historic district.
Long-time residents Mary Farrell, Shannon Collins, and Carole Cloyd orchestrated this much-anticipated dinner gathering, a favorite among the loyal, close-knit neighbors. Brats were generously provided by the “Boys Night Out Gang”, and Chef Danny once again was the master smoker of the much-loved bratwursts.
The warmth and friendliness of the community were obvious as people greeted one another and gathered to eat, drink, and catch up on their lives. Some members have lived at the OTV since its beginning in 1997, and 31 original owners still reside there. Tucked inside historic Old Town, the village consists of 155 townhomes adjacent to 125 condominiums.
Oktoberfest is one of many get-togethers throughout the year, with the most recent being their summer picnic which served over 200 people. Collins and Cloyd also are excitedly planning their upcoming December holiday activities, one of which includes wrapping gifts for the elderly which consist of basic necessities. They mentioned how grateful the recipients are for what many consider everyday items such as socks and toothbrushes. The ladies’ eyes lit up as they spoke fondly of the project’s goal of helping the community.
History of the OTV Land
Old Town Villages residences are Colonial, Georgian and Victorian-style homes, joined by brick sidewalks reflecting the rich architectural style of Old Town. The 12.5-acre parcel was an abandoned Norfolk and Southern railroad yard and is considered historically significant because of Civil War activity. When the war began in 1861, the Union Army immediately captured Alexandria and made the rail yard the headquarters for its logistic operations. The site continued to be operated as a railroad yard until the early 1980’s.