The biggest single day for online fundraising in Alexandria is here! Spring2ACTion opened its doors at midnight, and as of noon raised $896,000 from 4,858 donors. The goal this year is to raise $2 million. Can it be done?
“It’s so exciting,” said Brandi Yee, Spring2ACTion’s chief program officer. “We’re excited to see al the dollars being raised and we’re here to answer questions all day if anyone needs any help.”
Running Brooke, a nonprofit dedicated to the health of Alexandria’s children, won the top prize last year for dollars raised, and is the top earner once again, with $56,110 raised as of noon.
The finish line is in sight for Local Motion Project! The nonprofit dance studio, which needs to raise $45,000 to stay in business. At noon, Local Motion raised $34,185 from 367 donors, and also received a $500 Spring2ACTion bonus for the most donors during one of their “power hours.” The organization is giving out $500 prizes throughout the day to the top earners.
“The community response has been so encouraging,” said Local Motion Project founder Sara Lavan. “Everybody wants to know about us and I feel like we re finally being recognized. We’ve been working really hard developing so many new programs that it really feels like everything is synthesizing.”
Spring2ACTion, which is hosted by the foundation ACT for Alexandria, was founded in 2004 and has raised more than $8 million for more than 160 nonprofits. All donations are tax deductible and irrevocable. Last year, Spring2ACTion raised more than $1.8 million from 9,400 donors for 156 nonprofits.
Are you a history buff? You can help raise money to restore the 1858 Prettyman Fire Hose Reel Carriage, which is one of the top endangered historical artifacts in the entire Commonwealth of Virginia.
Other participating nonprofits include the Center for Alexandria’s Children, Tenants and Workers United, Carpenter’s Shelter, Agenda: Alexandria, the Alexandria Police Foundation and the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria.
Spring2ACTion Events and Venues:
- ALX Community Donor Lounge, 106 N. Lee Street, 8am – 1pm (can also cover South Block – they are donating 15% of April 10 sales!)
- Sugar Shack, 804 N. Henry Street, Free donuts to anyone who donates!
- Holy Cow Burgers, 2312 Mount Vernon Ave, all day – 25 cents from every burger donated to the customer’s choice – some nonprofits end up camping out there all day to get folks to designate their nonprofit because there is a $500 prize at stake!
- Historic Alexandria Museums Happy Hour at Lloyd House, 220 N. Washington Street, 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Virtue Feed & Grain, 106 S. Union Street – Alexandria Harmonizers will be doing a cappella concert from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.