Community NewsHealth & Wellness
The YMCA Returns: Alexandria Athletic Club Reopened June 15
ALEXANDRIA, VA – Great news, Alexandria! Your local YMCA at 420 East Monroe Avenue is back in business. It opened for the first time in months this past Monday, June 15, along with the Arlington location. The Y is following a phased approach to reopening so you will see differences when you visit.
The Y is focused on the safety of their members and employees amid the pandemic. Please note the following:
- All members and staff must have their temperature checked and answer health screening questions before they are given access to entering the facility.
- Masks must be worn in the facility at all times, except when actually working out or in the water.
- The facility will be cleaned throughout the day with cleaning disinfectant as required by the CDC, from noon to 2 p.m. each day, and after closing.
- Advanced technology such as Ultraviolet sanitation equipment will be used after closing to maintain a deeper level of sanitation and to mitigate the risk of viruses and bacteria spreading.
- The occupancy of the building and each room within it have been reduced to 30 percent occupancy. Please adhere to social distancing requirements of 10 feet.
- All equipment on the fitness floor will be spaced 10 feet apart.
- Indoor and outdoor pools are available for lap swimming by reservation. Social distancing in place between lanes and on pool deck.
- Showers are available exclusively on the pool deck. Saunas, steam rooms, and spas are closed. Toilets have been retrofitted to reduce the spread of germs with locker room attendants in place to clean after each and every use.
- Smaller group exercise classes with associated strength equipment will be available in open-air studios. Space is limited and reservations may be required.
- Members must bring their own mats, towels, and water bottles.
- Highly visible hand sanitizing stations are placed throughout the building.
- Child watch will be available. Additional services will be added gradually.
- One-way circulation patterns are in place throughout the facility. Staff and signage decals will help guide members.
- Special hours and programs have are available for seniors.
- All staff – including executive staff – have been trained on sanitation and safety procedures related to the handling of COVID-19 protocols.
ICYMI: Alexandria Rec Centers Begin Modified Operations June 20