ALEXANDRIA, VA – On Tuesday, Oct. 27, the Alexandria City Council approved grant funding to help city businesses operate outdoors in colder weather. The “All Weather Grant” will be administered by the Alexandria Economic Development Partnership (AEDP). The grants have been made possible through the reallocation of federal funding from the CARES Act.
$500,000 will go to “restaurant, retail and fitness businesses who wish to ‘winterize’ outdoor business areas,” according to the AEDP website. Approved businesses will receive $5,000 each.
The All Weather Grant will be available to businesses when applications are received. Those that apply first will receive consideration based on the guidelines below until funding is depleted.
All criteria must be met:
- Licensed in the City of Alexandria
- Hold one of the following City-issued permits or approvals:
- Temporary expansion of outdoor dining permit; or
- Temporary expansion of a retail business permit; or
- Temporary outdoor expansion of fitness uses permit; or
- King Street Outdoor Dining Program permit; or
- SUP that allows outdoor dining or vending; or
- *Active application for one of the above permits/SUP
- Current on all local business taxes or on a payment plan with the City
- Not currently in bankruptcy proceedings
- Intend to remain operating in Alexandria through December 31, 2020
- Locally owned and operated
*If a business is in the process of applying for a permit or SUP, you may submit an application for an All Weather grant. However, the All Weather grant application will not be processed until the business successfully provides proof of the approved permit or SUP.
Each business can use its grant grant to cover eligible expenses, as long as those items are allowable per the City Guidelines. Eligible expenses may include the purchase or rental of:
- Tents or other structures that provide cover, such as awnings
- Propane or electric heaters
- Outdoor furniture
- Other items for use in an outdoor setting
All applications must be completed online and in English. Applications cannot be saved and continued later, so AEDP advises gathering all information before starting the application process. The following is needed:
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Social Security Number (SSN) associated with the business;
- City of Alexandria Business Professional Occupancy License Account Number;
- Copy of temporary expansion of outdoor dining, retail business, or fitness uses permit;
- Copy of King Street Outdoor Dining Program permit;
- SUP that allows outdoor dining or vending;
- Proof of active application for any of the above; and
- For businesses with a commercial lease, the expiration date of the current lease.
All applicants will be notified when their application is submitted and when final grant decisions are made.
The application will be posted on the HERE when available. No release date announced.