ALEXANDRIA, VA – Every year, the Alexandria Health Department and Public Health Advisory Commission present an individual or group in the field of public health with the Flora Krause Casey Public Health Award. Today, they are asking people to make nominations through January 15, 2021.
The honor recognizes the lasting impact that public health workers have in Alexandria. Its significance has extra meaning in 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic.
“As 2020 brought an unprecedented public health crisis, it’s become more evident than ever that Alexandria has many committed volunteers working to improve the lives of those in our community, said Commission Chair Dan Hawkins. “The Public Health Advisory Commission looks forward to honoring one of these individuals or groups with the 2020 Flora Krause Casey Award.”
Casey, who lived from 1904 to 1991, was a longtime resident of the city. She advocated for the health needs of disadvantaged residents. Among her many accomplishments, she was responsible for the formation of a comprehensive clinic for people who could not afford care.
Nominations will be accepted for those who work in various types of health care. This includes physical, mental, behavioral, and oral care.
Once the form is complete, the accompanying nomination and recommendation letters should demonstrate how the nominee is an example of one of the five criteria below:
- Efforts have improved the health and quality of life of Alexandrians
- Dedication to public service has helped prevent disease, promote healthy lifestyles, improve access to health services, and/or ensure appropriate health care for vulnerable Alexandrians
- Work has improved the health of vulnerable and underserved Alexandria residents
- Efforts have helped to address the non-health factors contributing to overall well-being (poverty, transportation, housing, education, etc.)
- Efforts have helped to reduce health disparities
Making a Nomination
The nomination form can be found and completed HERE. For a PDF version, click HERE. The PDF can be mailed to: Casey Health Award Nominations, Alexandria Health Department, Suite 415, 4480 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22302.
It can also be sent by fax at 703-845-1397 or email to [email protected].