Alexandria, VA – * Art League Gallery of the Torpedo Factory ~ August Open Exhibit: 8/11 through 9/5, 2021. Multi-medium, open content works from the last five years juried by Martha Kennedy. Re|context: Bryan Sieling Solo Exhibit featuring provocative work of found objects in mixed-media, creating “semi-functional furniture, free-standing sculpture, and wall reliefs” convey a simultaneous expression of experimentation and happenstance. Gallery Hours Wednesday-Saturday: 11 am – 5 pm, Sunday: noon – 5 pm.
* Athenaeum Gallery ~ 201 Prince Street Alexandria. Robert Schultz solo show, Memorial Leaves, August 12 – September 19. Using a unique chlorophyll printing process, Schultz alters the perception of both war and (inspired by Walt Whitman) the poetry of nature. Gallery Hours Thursday- Sunday: noon to 4 pm.
* Del Ray Artisans Gallery ~ Together art exhibit, August 6 – 28, is a group show spotlighting the work of DRA’s outstanding volunteers and board of directors. Curators Amy Kitchin and Joshua Oliveira invited members who contributed the most volunteer hours from January 2019 through April 2021 to exhibit their best work for this labors of love show. A hat tip to all who were invited to exhibit and the volunteers, especially those still actively fielding the many unexpected curves of the pandemic year, donating their time and resources to keep the nonprofit gallery open and going strong throughout these difficult times.
* Gallery Underground ~ Magic of the Ordinary in the Focus Gallery August 2-27, inspired by the Pop Art Movement and juried by watercolor artist Lois Wolford. Common everyday objects and scenes are reinvented from the obvious and mundane to the extraordinary via artwork from around the DMV and across the U.S. NOTE: This show marks the return of the in-person First Friday opening receptions, so mark your calendars for Friday, August 6; 5-7 pm!
* Potomac Fiber Arts Gallery ~ Studio 29, Torpedo Factory Arts Center. The new exhibit is Industry: Past, Present, and Future from August 3 – August 29, featuring fiber art, home decor, jewelry, wall art, and wearable art inspired by manufacturing from the Industrial Age to the computer-generated and beyond. Gallery Hours: phone 703-548-0935.
* Principle Gallery ~ 208 King Street, Alexandria. The fine art gallery of contemporary realism continues the summer exhibit of the enchanting allegorical work of GC Meyers. Gallery Hours: Monday: 12 – 5 pm, Tuesday – Thursday: 10 am – 6 pm, Friday and Saturday: 10 am – 8 pm, Sunday: 11 am – 6 pm.
* River Farm ~ 7931 East Boulevard Drive, Alexandria. A Morning of Art to Benefit The American Horticultural Society for the continuing care, use, and preservation of historic River Farm, a presentation of art by Robert Murray of the Von Brahler Ltd. Gallery. There will be a tent show of a selection of artists Saturday, August 7, 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. For more info, contact Bob Murray, 703-798-8686 or Leslie Bauman, 703-768-5700 ext. 114.
* Target Gallery of the Torpedo Factory Art Center ~ A Year In is an all-media group exhibition reflecting upon a year after the pandemic created a capsizing new world. (July 24 – September 5). Juried by Nancy Daly, a D.C.-based artist and curator who selected a dozen artists exhibiting their expression of life in the time of COVID. There will be a reception Saturday, August 13 at 7:00 pm. Gallery Hours Wednesday – Sunday 10 am – 6 pm.
* Torpedo Factory Artists @ Mosaic ~ 2905 District Avenue #105, Fairfax, announced their Regional Painting Competition on exhibit July 23- August 22. Phil Hutinet, the publisher of East City Art, is the juror for the exhibit with a Best in Show prize of $750, among other generous prizes offered by local companies and arts groups. This fantastic satellite gallery, operated by the Torpedo Factory Artists Association, is situated in the vibrant Mosaic District of Merrifield. Come for the art. Stay for the Anjelica Film Center and eclectic restaurants and shops! Gallery Hours: Call 703-409-3867.