ALEXANDRIA, VA – On Tuesday, Aug. 10 at 7 p.m., the city plans to hold a virtual information session. This webinar will introduce the new Flood Mitigation Pilot Grant Program, meant to offer financial assistance to homeowners who have installed flood mitigation measures on their property.
According to the program webpage, eligibility will be determined by a number of criteria:
- Residential properties are eligible during the pilot phase of the program; the program is anticipated to be open to other eligible entities after the commencement of the pilot program
- Applicant is the property owner of the property that experienced flooding
- Applicant can provide documented damage from flooding from any of the recent severe storm events dating back to July 8, 2019. Documentation may include, but is not limited to: photographs, videos, Alex311 service requests, and/or insurance claims
- Applicant can provide itemized receipts for purchase and/or installation for eligible expenses incurred on or after July 2019
- All applicable permits and/or application reviews have been completed through Department of Code Administration, Department of Planning & Zoning, or Transportation & Environmental Services, as applicable. Practices requiring permits and/or reviews that were not secured prior to installation are ineligible for reimbursement unless later remedied by the representative department
- Photographic evidence that measures have already been installed and can be confirmed by the City or its contractor(s) if requested
Applications will be available after the program launch. No date is available at this time.
The pilot program is expected to last at least one year. This should provide officials enough time to gather data that will help shape the program’s future.
Matching reimbursement grants will assist property owners with 50 percent of a completed project’s cost and up to $5,000 for the use of floodproofing measures. Properties will be reviewed for eligibility.
The program is part of the Flood Action Alexandria initiative.
Register for the webinar by clicking HERE.