Alexandria Library Loaning Chromebooks With Free Internet Access
ALEXANDRIA, VA – Need internet access but can’t afford it? The Alexandria Library has announced a new program where library patrons can borrow a Chromebook. The laptop is preloaded with free web access for a three-week period.
The Alexandria Library Newsletter says that patrons “who do not otherwise have the equipment or services needed to access the internet at home browse worry free. ”
Simply visit the library, check out a Chromebook, login, and the web is at your fingertips. Need to hunt for a job, research, or send emails? That’s all possible. Internet service is available anywhere you need it within a mobile network (hotspot).
See the lending details below:
- Chromebooks have a 21-day checkout period and may be renewed if there are no holds.
- Regular/adult cardholders, temporary cardholders, and shelter cardholders are eligible to borrow a Chromebook.
- Chromebooks must be returned to the library service desk, not in library book drops.
- Customers will be charged $50 for damaged or lost Chromebooks, $10 for the cord, and/or $5 for the case.
- Replacement fees for any missing parts/pieces/bag will be billed to the customer’s account.
- The library will not accept customer replacements for lost Chromebooks.
- Alexandria Library is not responsible for damage that may occur to customer equipment through the application and use of the Chromebook.
- Internet service to overdue Chromebooks will be turned off.
When checking out a Chromebook, patrons receive a kit that includes:
- One (1) Carrying case
- One (1) Chromebook
- One (1) Charging cord
- One (1) Wall adapter
The Chromebook Loaning Program is supported through an Emergency Connectivity Fund grant.
Looking for a Job? Upcoming Career Events Hosted by the City of Alexandria