The 2015 grants were awarded to the following recipients:
● Alexandria Tutoring Consortium – To tutor 100 at-risk kindergarten students in
Pre-literacy skills, and bring their reading up to grade level.
● ALIVE! – To increase the number of ALIVE! Pre-school children screened and
treated for Sensory Processing Disorder and fine motor skills delays.
● Arcadia Center for Sustainable Food and Agriculture – To pilot the “Farm in the
Classroom” program at 3 Alexandria schools, and provide Arcadia Farm Field
Trips at 6 Alexandria schools. This effort builds understanding of agriculture and
encourages healthy food choices.
● Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington – To fund an after-school bicycling
program for 50 at-risk students, and provide mentoring, regular bike training and
education of Alexandria history.
● Child & Family Network Services – To provide free, bilingual, preschool classes for
18 at-risk children and social services for their parents.
● Community Lodgings – To provide after-school and summer tutoring to 151
children in the Arlandria and Brent Place communities.
● Friends of Huntley Meadows Park – To provide 50 children at Casa Chirilagua with
art kits and nature enrichment classes.
● Girls on the Run, NoVA – To provide scholarships for 75 Alexandria girls to join the
bi-weekly, after-school program and develop enhanced social, emotional and
physical skills, as well as train and complete a 5k race.
● The Campagna Center – To support the New Neighbors and Early Childhood
programs to help vulnerable immigrant parents and their young children develop
literacy skills, prepare for kindergarten, and learn about healthy lifestyle choices.
● QuinTango – To provide an intersession program for 24 at-risk students in the
Alexandria City Schools. This program combines soccer and tango lessons to teach
perseverance, courage, kindness, and respect.