RiverRenew is a major infrastructure initiative in Alexandria to reduce discharges of sewage mixed with rainwater into our local waterways through the construction of a deep tunnel system to capture and treat the additional flows delivered during rain events.
The RiverRenew Stakeholder Advisory Group will provide diverse community perspectives throughout various phases of RiverRenew’s implementation, review and monitor program progress, and provide recommendations regarding mitigation of community impacts. Volunteers should be committed to attendance and willing to serve as ambassadors, reaching out to neighbors and constituents to receive and share input.
The City of Alexandria and RiverRenew are looking for volunteers in the following areas:
- Residents and business owners near Tobacco Quay, Oronoco Waterfront Residences or Rivergate;
- Residents, business owners, and non-profits in south Old Town;
- Residents and business owners in the Carlyle Community or Duke Street corridor;
- Residents with an interest in RiverRenew; and
- Residents with engineering, environmental, financial or related experience.
The group, comprised of 13 community representatives, will initially meet on a monthly basis, with meetings starting in January 2019 and continuing through mid-2020. A detailed list of roles and responsibilities can be found online.
Applications can be submitted online at riverrenew.com/SAG. The deadline for applications is December 1.
If you have questions regarding this group or the application process, please reach out to the RiverRenew Communications and Outreach team at 703-518-6030, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Alexandria City Council resolution that establishes this Stakeholder Advisory Group can be viewed here.