Alexandria, VA – In its nightly email, the city continues to urge residents to stay at home, unless going out is essential. And when out, they stress the importance of maintaining six feet of distance around others.
Carryout and Delivery
The Alexandria Health Department reminds residents to take precautions when ordering in and picking up food. Their suggestions can help stop the spread of the coronavirus. Please remember the following:
- Maintain six feet of distance between you and others who are not your household members. Utilize contactless payment methods such as ordering online and over the phone when possible.
- Wear a cloth face covering or mask over your nose and mouth if you can’t maintain at least six feet of physical distance. That includes when approaching cashiers or picking up food.
- Don’t touch your face, particularly after handling money, credit cards, and deliveries.
- Wash your hands frequently and for 20 seconds with warm water and soap after handling items and before eating. If handwashing facilities aren’t available, use hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Carryout food should be taken home to consume. Restaurant outdoor dining spaces are closed.
For more info on safety, click HERE.
Honoring Asian Americans
This month is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. The occasion is an annual opportunity to honor Asian culture and heritage. Sadly, as COVID-19 has spread throughout the country, Asian Americans have experienced increased discrimination. The city reminds residents that race and ethnicity do not play a part in the transmission of the disease.
Now is especially a time when people need to show understanding and kindness toward others, not hatred. To learn how to help combat stigma, click HERE.
On the final day of Resilience Week, the importance of self-care is highlighted. Every person needs to make time for himself or herself. It is crucial for physical and mental well-being to get away from stressors.
It might not seem like there is enough time in the day for self-care. But the act increases resilience and helps manage stress. Self-care can be any enjoyable activity. For example, watch a funny movie, read a book, exercise, call a friend…the list goes on.
Click HERE for tips on practicing self-care.