ALEXANDRIA, VA – In the spring and summer of 2018, Landmark Mall served as a movie set for “Wonder Woman 1984.” The highly-anticipated film, which had its release date delayed because of the novel cororonavirus pandemic, is in theaters now and available to stream on HBO Max.
The location shoot provided a boost to the Virginia economy, bringing in over $45 million.
“Alexandria really came together to support the filming of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ with coordination from the Alexandria Film Office, which is operated by Visit Alexandria, plus incredible support from the City of Alexandria and dozens of city departments and public safety officials,” said Patricia Washington, Visit Alexandria President and CEO.
“Wonder Woman 1984” stars Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman. This time, Prince travels to the 1980s to battle all-new foes.
To celebrate the film’s release, the Virginia Film Office, worked with Warner Bros. to acquire a drum prop used in the Landmark Mall scenes. The prop is seven feet tall and is decorated with Virginia’s longtime slogan, “Virginia Is for Lovers.”
Beginning Jan. 7, 2021, the prop will be on display in Old Town. Through Feb. 28, Visit Alexandria has created a number of experiences related to “Wonder Woman 1984” and other films and TV shows filmed in Alexandria.
Below are details of festivities found on this Visit Alexandria webpage, courtesy of a press release.
- Wonder Woman 1984 / Virginia is for Lovers Drum Prop Display in Old Town Alexandria
A window display of the seven-foot-tall drum prop will be available for outdoor viewing in Old Town Alexandria at 101 N. Union Street near King Street and the waterfront Jan. 7 through Feb. 28, 2021. Bundle up to observe the impressive movie prop and learn about Landmark Mall as a filming location. Viewing will take place outdoors to ensure safety for all visitors.
- Self-Guided Stroll of Film- and TV-Related Sites in Old Town Alexandria
In addition to Wonder Woman 1984, a number of award-winning film projects have chosen Alexandria as a backdrop, due to its proximity to Washington, D.C., its small-town feel and diverse neighborhoods. After viewing the “Wonder Woman 1984” drum prop display, film enthusiasts can continue along a self-guided outdoor walk found at VisitAlexandriaVA.com/wonderwoman starting January 7 to explore various cinematic sites in Alexandria by foot. In addition to filming sites for “Jackie,” “J. Edgar,” and “Broadcast News,” tour stops include sites and stories that inspired major film projects, like the PBS national drama series “Mercy Street” and the feature film “Loving.”
- Wonder Woman-Inspired Offerings from Alexandria Businesses
Take part in one-of-a-kind Wonder Woman-themed offerings from select Alexandria businesses including:
- Wonder Woman Wednesdays from Port City Brewing Co. in Jan. 2021 with any two six-packs or a variety 12-pack available for $19.84 with pre-order for curbside pickup at the brewery.
- Original permanent and temporary tattoo designs inspired by Wonder Woman 1984 from the artists of inq Tattoos Old Town, a woman-and-veteran-owned tattoo boutique. Available with 5% off these services in January and February 2021; masks and appointments required.
- WW84 themed 3-flavor popcorn package from America’s Favorite Gourmet Popcorn for $19.84 featuring a red, white and blue edition of K-Street Kettle Korn plus Capital Caramel popcorn and America’s Favorite popcorn. Available Jan. 7 through Feb. 28, 2021; can be purchased online for shipping or pickup at the Alexandria store or purchased in-person at the Alexandria store and assembled while you wait.
- “Truth Teller” donut from Elizabeth’s Counter, inspired by always-honest Wonder Woman and her Lasso of Truth. A vanilla glazed donut is sprinkled with a marvelous a blend of red, white, blue and gold and silver stars. Available Jan. 7 through Feb. 28, 2021; order online for curbside pickup or pre-ordering; limited quantity available in-store.
- “A Deal Is a Promise” cocktail from Captain Gregory’s, inspired by Diana’s iconic line in the 2017 “Wonder Woman” film. The cocktail features persimmon-infused pisco, Strega, Cynar and persimmon bitters. Available Jan. 7 through Feb. 28, 2021; offered on site at Captain Gregory’s with outdoor seating available or to-go from sister restaurant Elizabeth’s Counter with food purchase.
- “The Invisible Plane” cocktail at Vola’s Dockside Grill and the Hi-Tide Lounge, inspired by Diana’s invisible jet from the original DC Comics, which has been teased in the “Wonder Woman 1984” trailer. The cocktail is crafted with Sauza Hornitos tequila, raspberry, ginger and fresh lime juice, rimmed with raw sugar and topped with an invisible plane. Available on site only Jan. 7 to Feb. 28, 2021; heated outdoor seating is available.
The “Virginia Is for Lovers” drum prop is presented by the Virginia Tourism Corporation, the Virginia Film Office, and Visit Alexandria.
Note: Zebra Press homepage feature image courtesy of Warner Bros./ DC Entertainment