This article has been updated.
ALEXANDRIA, VA-The ALX Promise program debuted last year as a way to ensure shoppers and diners in town that health protocols were being followed in light of the pandemic. Participation in ALX Promise was voluntary but employees of stores and restaurants underwent extensive training.
Building on the success of the original program – with its trademark window sticker – the Alexandria Health Department and Visit Alexandria have launched the new ALX Promise Gold Program. The program is designed specifically to provide health safety training for when restrictions are lifted completely. It will also help report any COVID-19 cases, and support employee vaccination efforts.
As before, participation is voluntary. However, once businesses sign up, they take a pledge to:
- Thoroughly clean and sanitize their establishment
- Ensure their staff are trained on COVID-19 precautions, state guidelines, and safety measures
- Keep current on health guidance as Alexandria moves forward
- Offer employees paid time off to get tested if they feel sick, and to be vaccinated against COVID-19
- Work with the Alexandria Health Department to stop the spread of COVID-19 and ensure any exposed staff or customers are notified
After a business completes training, it will receive an ALX Promise Gold sticker to demonstrate that it is committed to keeping its workers and patrons healthy. Not only can the sticker be displayed on windows and doors, there will also be a website version.
In the near future, a list of ALX Promise Gold participants will be available on the program’s website.
To sign up for the training, click HERE.
All COVID-19 restrictions regarding masking and social distancing in Virginia were lifted on Friday, May 28 at 12:01 a.m.