THIS WEEK IN ALEXANDRIA HISTORY
On April 13, 1943, nearly ten years before the City of Alexandria annexed rural land from Fairfax County west of North Quaker lane, City Council passed an ordinance prohibiting the keeping of swine within the city boundaries. With the influx of personnel associated with the war effort, development boomed, in-filling housing downtown and constructing suburban developments on the city’s second “West End” between North Quaker Lane and Del Ray. Increased density quickly eliminated public tolerance of livestock and agricultural pursuits in the rapidly growing city.
SOURCE: Office of Historic Alexandria