ALEXANDRIA, VA – According to the Old Town Business Association, there will be an important meeting on Tuesday, July 28. The virtual gathering will discuss the new Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS) adopted by the Virginia Safety and Health Codes Board.
The ETS is designed to protect Virginia workers from COVID-19. It is expected to take effect next week.
Under the ETS, employers are required to:
- Mandate social distancing measures and face coverings for employees in customer-facing positions
- When social distancing is not possible, provide frequent access to hand washing or hand sanitizer
- Regularly clean high-contact surfaces
- Notify all employees within 24 hours if a coworker tests positive for the virus
- Assure that employees who are known or suspected to be positive for COVID-19 cannot return to work for 10 days or until they receive two consecutive negative tests.
These rules will remain in effect for six months and may be made permanent as defined by state law.
Employers are allowed 30-60 days from the date the ETS goes into effect to train their employees.
The webinar this Tuesday at 3 p.m. will help Alexandria businesses prepare to operate under the new rules.
Jennifer Rose, Virginia Occupational Safety and Health Cooperative Programs Director with the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry will discuss the ETS and employer responsibility. A portion of the conversation will focus on face mask use.
To register, click HERE.