Alexandria, VA – * The Athenaeum, 201 Prince Street, Alexandria ~ April 8- May 16, 2021 “Human/Trees: Life in the Balance” is the new exhibit by mixed-media artist and printmaker Patricia Underwood. The gallery is open Thursday- Sunday, noon to 4 pm.
* The Art League of the Torpedo Factory ~ The Art League Gallery, formerly known as The Bin Gallery, has been renamed for the year it was founded. The Bin Gallery is now Gallery 75 Spring 2021. This gallery’s art is exclusively by artists who juried into Art League shows at least three or four times a year. Affordable artworks, framed and unframed, ranging from as little as $45 to $100, are among the treasures to be found. Framed and sculptural pieces change bimonthly and unframed bin art rotates at least every six months. You can shop the exhibit online at the Art League website.
The April 2020 Open Exhibit, juried by Adriel Luis, is on exhibit from April 8 – May 2, 2021. The solo show spotlights the allegorical landscapes of Justin Worrell. “Breath on Glass” will show from April – May 3, 2021. The gallery is open from noon to 4 pm daily.
* Del Ray Artisans, 2704 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria ~ “Unfinished/ Finished” The April show begins its April 2 to May 1 run and is a unique approach to collaborative artwork. The exhibiting artist elaborates and extrapolates upon the start piece of the original work by another artist. This is a timely show for creating and exhibiting art during the isolationist experience of COVID-19.
A few workshops during this exhibit include “Speed Painting with Friends,” “Sketchy: How to Not Finish a Drawing” with Margaret Wohler, and “Music As Muse: Inspired Painting” with Nancy Ramsey. Workshops are held at the DRA Gallery with limited attendance. Reformer early to get a spot! The finished canvases from Speed Painting with Friends, where artists of all abilities take turns adding to the original compositions, will be displayed in the Unfinished/ Finished exhibit. The gallery is open Thursday and Friday 12-6 pm and Saturday 12-4 pm.
* Gallery Underground, 2100 Crystal Drive, Arlington ~ “Urban Soul,” a solo show featuring the expressionist images of Washington D.C. and other cities worldwide by Gustavo Forselledo. The gallery is open M-F 10 am-6 pm or by appointment.
* Principle Gallery, 208 King Street, Alexandria ~ Opening April 16, 2021, the solo show of plein air landscape painter Lynn Boggess. His expressive canvas macrocosms of stream beds and rural hillsides hail back to his big backyard roots growing up on a West Virginia farm. Check the gallery website for special COVID hours.
* The Target Gallery in the Torpedo Factory ~ “Those Spaces Between Us,” juried by Virginian artist and educator Nikki Brugnoli, is an all-media exhibit of 23 artists from across the DMV and the country. The show draws a narrative of movement between luminal and transient spatial precepts and how we connect or disconnect to them. This is an intriguing theme to explore in the time of social distancing. The exhibit runs from April 10 – May 23, 2021. The gallery is open Wednesday-Sunday, 10:00 am – 6 pm. A virtual gallery talk and reception will be held on Facebook, Friday May 14, at 7 pm.